If you’re looking to find out how to back up a recorder (NVR/DVR) to the cloud, you’ve come to the right place! You can backup your recorder to the cloud in a few simple steps using the Videoloft bridging device, or what we like to call, the Videoloft Cloud Adapter:
- Check your camera brand is compatible with our adapter
- Order the Videoloft Cloud Adapter online
- Download the Videoloft app and connect the Adapter
- Find your cameras on the network and connect to the cloud!
If you want to know more, then check out our step by step set up guide.
Recorder cloud storage installation checklist
What you’ll need to back up a recorder to the cloud
Installing cloud storage is very simple.
For example, Videoloft cloud can be installed in a few minutes through the Videoloft app. In addition, you don’t even need to be on site to install Videoloft cloud as it can be installed remotely.
Also, you won’t need to worry about port forwarding or router configuration. All you’ll need to connect A recorder (NVR/DVR) to the cloud is:
- Cloud compatible recorders, and their usernames and passwords
- Cloud Adapter and its Cloud ID
- Smartphone or tablet with the latest version of the Videoloft app, which is available both on iOS and Android devices
Pre-configuration of DVR/NVR
If you’re installing a brand new Dahua, Vivotek or Uniview recorder, you’ll need to pre-configure it before it can be used with Videoloft. You’ll need to activate it by setting a password for the admin user, then enable DHCP.
If you’re installing a brand new Hikvision recorder, no manual pre-configuration is needed.
Once you’ve ensured that the recorder (NVR/DVR) you’re installing is cloud compatible, it’s time to back it up to the cloud! Now comes the so-called “hard part”, i.e. setting up cloud storage for your recorder. Worry not, it will only take a few minutes.
Step 1: Setting up Cloud Adapter
To set up cloud storage for your recorder,, you’ll first need to set up the Cloud Adapter. To do so follow the below steps:
- Ensure that the recorder is connected to power and network
- Connect the Cloud Adapter to the network and then power
- Tap ‘Install’ on the main menu to begin the installation process, then enter the Cloud ID when prompted.
- When the Cloud Adapter is discovered, it will be linked with the account you are using to set it up.
- Tap ‘Continue’ to proceed with the installation and scan the network for compatible recorders
Step 2: Connecting to DVR/NVR
Once you have entered the Cloud ID, you’ll be taken to the installation screen.
Tap ‘Start scan’, the Videoloft app will then discover all recorders connected to the same network as the Cloud Adapter.
- Select the required recorder. You’ll be prompted for the DVR/NVR username and password.
- Tap ‘Next’ to continue.
Step 3: Completing the cloud installation
Stay on the app screen for approximately 60 seconds while the cameras are connecting to the cloud. Once installation is complete, tap ‘View cameras’.
Once the installation is complete, tap ‘View cameras’. For each camera:
- Check that the live feed is working (allow time for it to connect)
- Check that motion activated events are being recorded
- Tap the settings cog and amend settings as required