If you’re new to cloud CCTV, you may have many questions including: How can I connect my IP cameras to cloud? How to record IP camera video to cloud? How to set up IP camera cloud recording?
It’s not as complicated as it might seem. You can connect your IP security camera to the cloud in a few simple steps using the Videoloft bridging device, or what we like to call, the Videoloft Cloud Adapter:
- Check your camera brand is compatible with our adapter
- Order the Videoloft Cloud Adapter online
- Download the Videoloft app and connect the Cloud Adapter or set up via the web.
- Find your cameras on the network and connect to the cloud!
If you want to know more, then check out our step-by-step set up guide.
Once you’re connected you can enjoy all the benefits of the cloud, including:
- Multiple viewing options – keep an eye on your business no matter where you are!
- Multi user permissions – share video access to relevant people.
- Alert configuration – Configure your camera schedule for specific time periods that suit you.
How to connect your IP security cameras and NVR or DVR to the cloud
Cloud installation checklist
If you already own a camera security system you’ll need to check it’s compatible. Alternatively, if you’re starting from scratch you can purchase cloud compatible security hardware such as Hikvision, Axis, Lorex, LTS, Reolink and Dahua. Once you’ve got your hardware sorted, you’ll need our Cloud Adapter to connect your IP cameras to the cloud and store up to 8MP (4K) footage straight to the cloud.
Connecting to the Videloft cloud will open up lots of new features, such as video analytics, live camera health monitoring, timelapse, and more. Easily transforming old legacy systems into intelligent and proactive cloud video management systems.
What you’ll need to connect IP camera to the cloud
Cloud installation is very simple, all you’ll need to get started is:
- Cloud compatible security hardware and its usernames and passwords
- Cloud Adapter and its Cloud ID
- Smartphone or tablet with the latest version of the Videoloft app, which is available both on iOS and Android devices
Videoloft cloud can be installed in a few minutes through the Videoloft app or website. In addition, you don’t even need to be on site to install Videoloft cloud: it can be installed remotely as long as the Cloud Adapter is plugged into a network on site. Also, you won’t need to worry about port forwarding or router configuration.
Cloud compatible IP cameras
Furthermore, Videoloft is also compatible with a wide range of CCTV cameras which support ONVIF. ONVIF is an international standard that most camera manufacturers have adopted. However, there is little consistency in the way that they have implemented it, so different cameras support different features.
A few cameras will have ONVIF enabled straight out of the box, but most will need some amount of manual configuration before they can be used to connect IP cameras to the clouds. For example, they may need one or all of the steps below completed in their camera’s web UI:
- Activate device (and set up new password if camera is new)
- Configure the camera’s IP address (we recommend that you enable IPv6 or set up a static IPv4 address)
- Enable ONVIF
- Create an ONVIF user account
- Reboot device
You can connect following IP cameras to the Videoloft cloud using ONVIF:
- And many more…!
We recommend that you test that your specific camera model is compatible with Videoloft and ONVIF before you take it to site to install. Most camera models work very well via ONVIF, but we have seen a few problems and expect more from different models in the field.
Creating your customer’s cloud account
If you’re a security professional and are adding cloud to a customer installation you’ll need to create an account for your customer before you set up their cameras. To do this log into the Videoloft partner portal, go to ‘Subscribers’ and press ‘Add new’. You’ll be asked to create their username/password and select their cloud recording plan
Once you’ve ensured that the IP camera you’re installing is cloud compatible, it’s time to make the IP camera cloud based! Read our step-by-step guide on setting up your Cloud Adapter and recording to the cloud.
Step 1: Setting up Cloud Adapter
To set up cloud storage for your IP camera, you’ll first need to set up the Cloud Adapter. To do this, just follow the steps below:
- Check that you have the latest version of the Videoloft app and log in with the credentials you created for your subscriber.
- Ensure that the IP cameras are connected to power and network
- Connect the Cloud Adapter to the network and then power
- Tap ‘Install Cloud Adapter’ on the main menu to begin the installation process, then enter the Cloud ID when prompted.
- When the Cloud Adapter is discovered, it will be linked with the account you are using to set it up.
- Tap ‘Continue’ to proceed with the installation and scan the network for compatible cameras
Step 2: Discovering and selecting IP cameras
Once you have entered the Cloud ID, you’ll be taken to the installation type screen.
- Tap ‘Start scan’
- The Videoloft app will then discover all cameras and recorders connected to the same network as the Cloud Adapter. Cloud Adapter will connect up to 8 IP cameras to the cloud. If you are looking to connect more than 8 IP cameras to the cloud, you’ll need another Cloud Adapter.
- Select the required cameras. You’ll be prompted for the camera usernames and passwords (or asked to set new ones if the cameras are brand new).
- Once all cameras are authenticated they will show as ‘Ready to install’
- Tap ‘Next’ to continue
Step 3: Completing the cloud installation
Stay on the app screen for approximately 30 seconds while the IP cameras are connecting to the cloud. Once installation is complete and your cameras are recording to the cloud, tap ‘View cameras’.
Once the installation is complete, tap ‘View cameras’. For each camera:
- Check that the live feed is working (allow time for it to connect)
- Check that motion activated events are being recorded
- Tap the settings cog and amend settings as required
Videoloft gives you secure offsite video storage, a centralized remote viewing platform and much more.
Interested in Videoloft for your home or Videoloft for your business? Look no further, choose your cloud plan, and create your account by getting started.
Are you a security professional looking to add cloud to customers’ security systems? Learn more about our free partner program for security installers, integrators and dealers.